British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Hartforth Hall, Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury

Description: Hartforth Hall

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 4 February 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 323281

OS Grid Reference: NZ1627606931
OS Grid Coordinates: 416276, 506931
Latitude/Longitude: 54.4575, -1.7504

Location: Comfort Lane, Hartforth, North Yorkshire DL10 5LA

Locality: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury
Local Authority: Richmondshire District Council
County: North Yorkshire
Country: England
Postcode: DL10 5LA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

6/67 Hartforth Hall

Country house. Dated 1744 with addition dated 1792 and with late C19 -
c1900 additions. For the Cradock family. The 1792 addition probably by
John Foss of Richmond. Sandstone, part rubble, part coursed, with some
ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys; south elevation of
2:3:3 bays, the original house with range to north-west added in 1792, added
return to right c1900 and with extensive rear ranges of various dates.
South elevation: plinth, quoins, first-floor band. Central 3 bays project
slightly, are of rubble, and have central leaved glazed doors below
overlight in architrave with tripartite keystone in rusticated quoined
ashlar surround with pediment; sash windows in ashlar architraves, slightly
smaller on first floor; modillion cornice; turned-baluster parapet with
square pedestals with urn finials at ends. 2 bays to left: rubble; matching
fenestration; lead rainwater pipe in angle to right with hopper head cast
"SC 1744"; eaves band below plain parapet with urn finial to left and scroll
supporting parapet over central range; roof hipped to left; corniced
panelled ashlar stacks between second and third bays. 3 bays to right
probably rebuilt c1900: coursed stone; matching fenestration; parapet
details as at other end; roof hipped to right; matching stack between fifth
and sixth bays. Left return: 2:2:1:3:2 bays; ninth and tenth bays: rubble,
fenestration matching that on front; sixth-eighth bays inclusive, coursed
stone, plinth, 2-storey semicircular bow with 3 bays of sash windows in
ashlar architraves, with glazing bars on ground floor; in angles to left and
right, lead rainwater pipes and heads cast "SC 1792"; fifth bay, of rubble,
with plinth; 4-pane casement window on ground floor, sash window on first
floor, both in raised ashlar surrounds; straight joint between fourth and
fifth bays; third and fourth bays have no plinth, quoins to left, 4-pane
sash windows on ground floor and sash windows on first floor, all in raised
ashlar surrounds; first and second bays: coursed stone, to left a 4-panel
door below 6-pane overlight, scar of yard wall to its right, 4-pane sash
windows in raised ashlar surrounds on first floor; whole facade has band
below ashlar parapet and corniced ashlar stacks between second and third,
fourth and fifth, fifth and sixth, eighth and ninth bays. Right return:
2:3:2 bays; coursed stone with ashlar dressings; plinth; centre bay curved,
with leaved glazed doors in architrave within tetrastyle prostyle Doric
portico, with inscription "TAKUFORTE 1900" on blocking course, flanked by
matching windows, and on first floor matching windows with Tuscan pilasters
between; cavetto-shaped brackets below cornice supporting parapet with
turned balusters, and with urn finials to outer ends; hipped roof; corniced
ashlar stacks between second and third, fifth and sixth bays. To right,
single-storey range forming part of service range round sunken paved yard,
with 6-panel leaved door in architrave with tripartite keystone, and above
it recessed panel; to right 2 recessed panels; band and parapet. Interior:
entrance range with hall, staircase hall behind, sitting room to left and
office to right, all late C19 - c1900; in centre of south front, large room
of c1744 with egg-and-dart edging to panelling, modillion cornice, fireplace
with egg-and-dart edging, frieze with acanthus scrolls, 2 cornucopiae
framing a fox's head, egg-and-dart motif to overmantel with frieze with real
sea-shells below pediment, panels with sea-shell drops over doorways with
bay-leaf garland on torus friezes and doors of 6 fielded panels; room of
same date beyond with matching doorcases and doors with carved edges to
panels and matching shutters with beaded panels, cornice with modillions and
rosettes; north of this, sitting room of 1792, with segmental-bow-windowed
end, marble fireplace, anthemion frieze and Adam-style ceiling; east of
this, staircase of 1792, open well plan has cantilevered stone steps with
bracketed string and wreathed handrail on curtail step, square-section
wrought-iron balusters, top-lit from lantern with lunettes and Adam-style
ceiling; bedroom of 1792 above sitting room, with segmental-bow-windowed
end, acanthus-leaf frieze, and with columns with acanthus-leaf capitals at
end opposite window. In-north-west corner, former kitchens, one of which
has tripartite fireplace with segmental arches. An outbuilding between the
present house and the former stable yard, partly under the latter, may have
been the earlier manor house.

Listing NGR: NZ1627606931

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.