Description: North Entrance to Welllow Tunnel, 100 Yards to North of White Baines, Bull's Hill
Date Listed: 19 October 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 32411
OS Grid Reference: ST7426558431
OS Grid Coordinates: 374265, 158431
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3244, -2.3707
ST 7458 WELLOW C.P.
12/65 North entrance to Wellow
Tunnel, 100 yards to north
of White Baines, Bull's
North entrance to Wellow Tunnel. Circa 1800 for Somersetshire Coal Canal. The
surveyor for the canal was William Smith, "the Father of British Geology", under
the supervision of John Rennie. The engineer was William Bennet. Coursed,
squared rubble with freestone dressings. Semi-circular arch with keystone.
Band. Pilaster strips to either side and high coped parapet. The interior of
the tunnel is masonry lined. The southern (Midford-Radstock) branch of the Coal
Canal was completed in 1798 but was abandoned in 1815 when a tramway was laid
Listing NGR: ST7426458430
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.