Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 1 February 1956
English Heritage Building ID: 32452
OS Grid Reference: ST6456664655
OS Grid Coordinates: 364566, 164655
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3798, -2.5105
There is also a scheduled monument, Compton Dando Bridge, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
ST 66 SW COMPTON DANDO
Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. C14, altered C15 and subsequently; chancel restored 1735
and 1905, porch restored 1793, north aisle rebuilt 1820 and vestry added in 1840.
Consists of west tower, nave and south porch, north aisle, chancel and vestry.
Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; roofs concealed behind ashlar parapets,
embattled to the chancel. West tower of 3 stages, ashlar to the lowest stage;
with diagonal buttresses, plain embattled parapet with gargoyles and pinnacles;
2-light plain windows to second stage and cusped windows with Somerset tracery,
that on the east side has a Katherine wheel in the lower part; tall 4-light perpen-
dicular style west window, with cusped ogee heads to panels and sexfoil light
above; west doorway with 4-centred head and carved leaf spandrels; projecting
polygonal stairtower to north-east, spirelet. Nave with clerestorey; 3-light
C19 perpendicular style windows with cinquefoil heads and under square hoodmoulds
and relieving arches; 2- and single-light cinquefoil headed lights to clerestorey;
rainwater head at south-west dated TB/1783. Square south porch with parapet and
datestone of 1793; restored ogee and hollow moulded door surround. Chancel: 2-
light mullion and transom late perpendicular style windows (all C19 or C20); 3-
light curvilinear style east window; datestones of 1735 and 1905. North-east
buttress of the church incorporates a decorated stone probably from a Roman altar
at Bath: 2 niches, each with a figure, one is said to be Hercules and the other
Apollo. Interior: Tall tower arch of two wave mouldings. North arcade of 2 bays
with piers of alternating hollows and shafts, the capitals and abaci are treated
as a strip; double chamfered arches. Pulpit and font of 1883. Monuments. Brand,
died 1731, inscribed plaque in enriched border with cherubs, skulls and vegetation.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, 1958.)
Listing NGR: ST6456664655
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.