Description: The Old Barn and the Cottage
Date Listed: 10 September 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 324740
OS Grid Reference: SE0114446302
OS Grid Coordinates: 401144, 446302
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9129, -1.9841
SE 04 NW KILDWICK GRANGE ROAD
1/13 The Old Barn and The Cottage
(formerly listed as
Barn at Kildwick Hall)
Barn and carriage house, now two houses. Barn 1671 probably for Hugh Currer, cottage added shortly after, late C20 alterations and conversion. Coursed gritstone rubble, graduated stone slate roof. 5-bay barn, 2-bay cottage, both with inserted upper storey in roof space. Quoins and chamfered plinth. Barn: large centr~l cart entrance. Chamfered quoined jambs and voussoirs; end byre doorways, chamfered jambs and lintel, the right lintel with raised lettering "R/H C 1671 ". 2 original chamfered square windows, 4 inserted C19, 3 inserted during conversion 1979. Cottage to right: chamfered surround to door, left; unsympathetic inserted window opening to ground floor; Right return: large carriage arch with chamfered voussoirs blocked and with 3-light window inserted; 3-light flat-faced mullion window to first floor. Kneelers with pyramidal finials to both gables and to apex, gable copings. C20 stack forward of ridge to The Cottage. Roof carried down as a porch to the barn entrance, supported on wooden beams. Interior of barn reported to contain original timber roofing, not seen at resurvey. The Cottage included for group value.
Listing NGR: SE0114446302
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.