Description: Kildwick Bridge
Date Listed: 10 September 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 324743
OS Grid Reference: SE0111545699
OS Grid Coordinates: 401115, 445699
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9075, -1.9845
This building is also a scheduled monument.
SE 04 NW KILDWICK KEIGHLEY ROAD
1/16 Kildwick Bridge
Bridge. 1305 - 1313 for the monks of Bolton Abbey, widened on east side
1780, parapet and flanking walls repaired C19, strengthened 1961. Ashlar
with gritstone rubble patching and repairs. 4 arches, pointed cutwaters.
West side with medieval work has 2 pointed northern arches and 2 round
arches to south. Chamfered voussoirs and 5 deep chamfered ribs to each
arch. Projecting band at road level; ridged parapet coping. East side: 4
round arches, projecting band and parapet as west, shallow buttresses
rising from the cutwaters. One of the earliest documented medieval
bridges, work continuing from 1305 until 1313 with a break during 1311;
costs to masons, carters, stone-breakers, are recorded and a lime kiln was
constructed in 1308. The bridge carried the main routeway for monks from
Bolton Abbey, across the River Aire towards Lancashire. E. Jervoise,
Ancient Bridges in the North of England, 1931, p100. R. Mason, Telegraph
and Argus, March 15, 1980, article.
Listing NGR: SE0111545699
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.