Retaining wall to south-east terrace of Eshton Hall.
Reason for Listing
* Design: As part of Webster's overall design of the Hall, defining the terrace upon which the Hall is constructed, separating it from the grazed parkland to the south east whilst not interrupting the view;
* Group Value: with the Grade II* listed Eshton Hall and the other associated Grade II listed ancillary structures such as the gates to the drive.
Eshton Hall, a country house designed by George Webster of Kendal for Matthew Wilson in 1825-7 was one of the earliest examples of Elizabethan revival architecture to be fully realised nationally and is listed grade II*. The terrace wall, which defines the terrace in front of the main elevation of the hall, separating it from the parkland that extends down hill to the east, is considered to be part of the overall design of the hall in its landscape setting. Functionally it acts as barrier to livestock grazing the park whilst not interrupting the view from the Hall south and eastwards. The terrace wall is punctuated with ashlar piers, some of which were topped by urns in 1989 when the wall was listed grade II. However photographs from the 1950s show that these urns were a later C20 addition which were removed sometime between 1997 and 2002.
Retaining wall to the terrace on the south east side of Eshton Hall. 1825-7 by George Webster of Kendal for Matthew Wilson.
MATERIALS: Dressed stone with ashlar piers and coping.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.