Description: Hinton Priory
Date Listed: 1 February 1956
English Heritage Building ID: 32538
OS Grid Reference: ST7775859255
OS Grid Coordinates: 377758, 159255
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3320, -2.3206
ST 75 NE HINTON CHARTERHOUSE HINTON PRIORY
11/119 Hinton Priory
Country house, probably incorporating parts of a monastic gatehouse or guest house.
C14 to C15, altered mid-late C16; restored 1933 by Snailum, Pictor of Bruton.
Rubble with freestone quoins and dressings; C20 tiled roofs and ashlar stacks
with caps. 2 storeys and attics in steep stone gables. South elevation. Irregu-
lar U-plan of 2:2:1 bays; the centre 2 are recessed; 3- and 4-light cross windows
on ground floor and casements above, in hollow chamfered mullions and surrounds;
continuous dripmoulds over ground and first floors, individual dripmoulds to attic
windows. C20 ashlar porch with 4-centre headed doorway at south-east (right)
corner; 3-light corner window above under dripmould with lozenge stops. Early
C20 single storey and 2-bay extension at right, 3- and 4-light cross windows.
The east gable end has a 2-light, cusped window in the attic. The Rear or North
elevation is irregular and has gabled sections at the ends. The left one projects
slightly: single and 2-light windows (restored) with trefoil heads; C19 4-centre
headed doorway, with date 1555 incised into the lintel (modern lettering); quatre-
foil light in a lateral stack with off-sets; buttress and adjoining canted stair-
tower with a gabled top. The right gable has fenestration similar to the south
elevation. Interior. 2 spiral staircases, one of oak and the other of stone
with a moulded handrail; fragment of archway of mediaeval character (old list);
freestone fireplaces in moulded surrounds and under flat and 4-centred heads;
ribbed plaster ceiling and plaster overmantel on first floor (R.C.H.M. and N.M.R.
photographs). The house is thought to incorporate remains of the Carthusian
Hinton Priory (q.v.). (N. Pevsner Buildings of England: North Somerset and
Bristol, 1958. Archaeological Journal, 134, 1977. Mediaeval Archaeology, 2,
1951 and 3, 1959).
Listing NGR: ST7776959257
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.