Holy Trinity Church, Elvington
Description: Holy Trinity Church
Date Listed: 14 March 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 326137
OS Grid Reference: SE7011447472
OS Grid Coordinates: 470114, 447472
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9187, -0.9339
Location: Church Lane, Elvington, York YO41 4AD
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
ELVINGTON CHURCH LANE
SE 74 NW
7/25 Holy Trinity Church
Church. 1877, by William White. Coursed sandstone with brick interior
dressings and Welsh slate roof. Early C14 Gothic Revival style.
North-West tower with entrance, 4-bay nave with north
aisle, chancel with 5-sided apse, north vestry. Stepped 3-stage tower:
plinth, quoins. To ground floor, north side a pointed plank doorway under
hoodmould. Lancet windows. 4 ashlar bands. The upper stage surmounted by
shingled belfry. Tent roof. Nave: north aisle, plinth. 2nd and 4th bays
have 2-light, cusped windows with quatrefoils above projecting into gables.
Otherwise similar small 3-light window. Band above sill level. South side:
plinth. Quoins. Buttresses with offsets. Two 4 and one 2-light windows
with Geometrical tracery under hoodmoulds. West end has similar 4-light
window but incorporating Y-tracery. North facade: gable-ended vestry has
plinth and quoins. Original drawing by White in N.M.R. dated December 15,
1874 shows slightly different design with central tower. Pevsner, N.,
Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 1978, p.223.
Listing NGR: SE7011447472
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.