If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 18 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 327376
OS Grid Reference: SE9691090554
OS Grid Coordinates: 496910, 490554
Latitude/Longitude: 54.3014, -0.5123
Explore more of the area around Hackness, North Yorkshire at Explore Britain.
SE 9690 HACKNESS HACKNESS TO SUFFIELD ROAD
11/57 Church of St Peter
Church. Chancel arch Cll or earlier; early C12 south arcade; late C12 north
arcade, tower and tower arch; C15 spire, chancel, clerestorey, battlements
and gables; early C17 vestry and window to north chapel. Aisles rebuilt and
porch added during restoration of c1870 (on rainwater heads). Roughly-
dressed sandstone and sandstone ashlar, with slate roofs. West tower:
3-bay, aisled nave with clerestory; south porch; chancel, north chapel and
vestry. 3-stage, embattled tower on tall chamfered plinth, with staircase
vice at south-west corner. Angle buttresses to north-west and south-east,
the latter with gablets. Lancets to south and west, and slits to vice.
Bell-openings are paired pointed lights with shafts beneath round arches and
hood-moulds. Chamfered bands to each stage. Plain parapet and recessed
octagonal spire. To south, gabled and buttressed porch with pointed opening
encloses rebuilt doorway. Rebuilt window to east. Restored clerestory
windows of paired pointed foiled lights with chamfered mullions beneath
square arches. Embattled parapet. North aisle windows rebuilt. Original
clerestory windows similar to those on south. Embattled parapet. 2 windows
to south wall of chancel, of paired square-arched lights with reticulated
tracery. Third, later inserted, window to west of central buttress with
offsets and crocketed gablets which rises through embattled parapet. On the
north side are 2 windows with chamfered mullions, one of 5 segment-arched
lights and one of 3 square-arched lights. East end has clasping buttresses
with crocketed gablets and pinnacles. Restored 3-light window with panel
tracery and pointed hood-mould. Coped gable to porch and crow-stepped
gables to nave and chancel. Gabled bellcote with round-arched opening to
nave east end. Interior: tower arch of 3 orders to each face, the centre
one filleted, with moulded bell capitals, square abaci and hood-mould.
South arcade of 2 round arches beneath chamfered hood-moulds, on cylindrical
piers and responds with scalloped capitals and square abaci. North arcade
of 3 double chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical piers with attached
shafts. Piers have moulded bell capitals, columns waterleaf capitals and
square abaci. Western pier has cable-moulded base. North side of eastern
respond has round-arched niche with incised floral carving at rear. Round
chancel arch on chamfered responds with stops. Imposts chamfered on lower
edge, the north one with interlace carving. In the south aisle are 2 pieces
of an Anglo-Saxon cross, probably dating to the C9. Approximately 1.75
metres high, they are finely carved with interlace, foliage scrolls, a head
and the lower parts of 2 griffins. Misericords, probably C15, one to north,
and 7 to south, carved with a variety of motifs, including vines, a mask and
grotesques. Fine C15 font cover, restored in 1947, in the form of a tall
octagonal canopy with buttresses and crockets, carved Perpendicular tracery
and 8 figures around the base. C19 octagonal font with carved panels.
Octagonal Jacobean font. William and Mary hatchment over the chancel arch.
Monuments. North aisle: swathed cartouche, inscribed in Latin, erected in
1682 to Sir Thomas-Posthumous Hoby (d 1640). Chancel, south wall: wall
monument to Lady van den Bempde-Johnstone (d 1853). A standing female
figure by Matthew Noble. Sanctuary, north wall: wall monument of nearly
life-size figures in high relief to Margaret Anne Johnstone (d 1819). By
Chantry. Elaborate cartouche to Arthur Dakyns (d 1592) erected by Sir
Thomas Posthumous Hoby and his wife, Margaret, who "repayred" the chancel in
1597. South wall: alabaster wall tablet with fulsome tribute to Margaret
Hoby (d 1633). N Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Yorkshire, the North
Riding, 1966; p 180. J J Winterbotham, Hackness in the Middle Ages, 2nd
Listing NGR: SE9690990556
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.