Description: Sandburn Cross in Grounds of Sandburn House Approximately 100 Metres North of the Tanglewood Inn
Date Listed: 29 January 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 328688
OS Grid Reference: SE6695758581
OS Grid Coordinates: 466957, 458581
Latitude/Longitude: 54.0189, -0.9796
SE 65 NE STOCKTON-ON-THE-FOREST A 64
3/32 Sandburn Cross in grounds
of Sandburn House
approximately 100 metres
29.1.53 north of the Tanglewood
Boundary marker. 1677 inscription, possibly on an earlier cross shaft.
Limestone. Square-section base approximately one metre square and 0.25
metres in height, supporting a square-section shaft approximately 0.50
metres square and 1.50 metres in height. Inscriptions to each face. To
south: Ebor Monkward Stray. Mat Walls. Jo Blackburn. John Beforth.
Edgoforth. Pasture Masters 1677. To east: This cross repaired in the year
1782 by Wm Bamburgh, John Dale, Jos Gorwood, Ricd Pearson. Pasture Masters.
To west: This cross was blown down by the great wind on the 7th of January
1839 and replaced by her Grace the Duchess of Sutherland 1840. To north:
Restored by John Hetherton in 1912. The ashes of John Hetherton who died
Feb 14th 1937 aged 74 years lie around this stone.
Listing NGR: SE6695758581
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.