Description: The Stables
Date Listed: 22 June 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 328992
OS Grid Reference: SE7121969949
OS Grid Coordinates: 471219, 469949
Latitude/Longitude: 54.1205, -0.9119
HENDERSKELFE BROAD WALK
12/36 The Stables
Stables, now costume gallery. By John Carr for 5th Earl of Carlisle. 1781-
4. Tooled limestone ashlar, Westmorland slate roof. Stable block, coach-
houses and grooms' quarters, arranged round a quadrangle. Main facade:
symmetrical, 2 storeys, 9 bays with single-storey extensions to either end.
Central 3 bays in massive Tuscan order. Central tall arch flanked by round-
arched sashes with radial glazing to heads, those to second and eighth bays
recessed in arches. Continuous impost band. Corner pavilions have squat
round-arched sashes with radial glazing to heads flanked by flat buttresses
with paterae friezes and ball finials clasping a coped parapet with blind
balustrading to centre. First floor: unequal 12-pane sashes. Balustrade to
central 3 bays has central panel bearing swags and paterae with vases to
each end and a central urn flanked by dogs. Hipped roof. Howard G, Castle
Howard Handbook, 1972. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: The North Riding, 1966.
Listing NGR: SE7122069945
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.