If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Nunnington Hall
Date Listed: 14 July 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 329304
OS Grid Reference: SE6703079481
OS Grid Coordinates: 467030, 479481
Latitude/Longitude: 54.2067, -0.9738
Explore more of the area around Nunnington, North Yorkshire at Explore Britain.
NUNNINGTON THE AVENUE
(east side, off)
9/41 Nunnington Hall
(formerly listed with garden
walls and gate piers)
Hall. Original house probably mid C16, for Dr Robert Huickes; remodelled
c1600 by Thomas Norcliffe; refronted on south side and extension added c1685
by Richard Graham, 1st Viscount Preston; porch, rear service range and water
tower added, and further minor alterations in 1921 by Walter Brierley, for
Col and f4rs Fife. C16 build in coursed rubble stone; remainder in dressed
sandstone with sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings; stone slate roof.
South front. 2 storeys, 5 bays, flanked by 2-storey and attic, 2-window
gabled cross wings; 2-storey, 1-window quoined extension at left. Central
C20 glazed door in eared architrave with broken pediment containing
cartouche. Above, first-floor glazed double doors open on to a balcony with
wrought-iron balustrade of twisted bars and scrolled centre section. Eared
door architrave with broken segmental pediment containing a renewed
cartouche of the Preston arms. All ground- and first-floor windows are
unequal 15-pane sashes, and cross-wing attic windows are 12-pane sashes.
All have eared architraves and moulded sills. Lead rainwater heads and
drainpipes with ornate clamps in re-entrant angles. On return wall of each
cross wing are pairs of hinged wrought-iron brackets. Small C20 roof
lights. Coped gables, shaped kneelers and ball finials to cross wings.
Extension has blocked window architrave on each floor, eaves band and plain
parapet with moulded coping to flat roof. West front: 2-storey and attic,
1-window gable end of C16 house at left: c1600 extension at right 2 storeys
and attic, 3 bays; late C17 2-storey, 1-window extension projects at far
right. 1-storey porch in C16 part contains C20 panelled door. 2-light
mullion-and-transom window at left of porch. Similar 3-light window over
door, and 2-light mullion window in attic. All have square lattice glazing
and flat hoodmoulds. Gable end stack. c1600 front has external stack at
centre flanked by 3-light mullion-and-transom windows to ground amd first
floors and to gabled dormers. At far right late C17 addition, added in
front of a second external stack, has a 15-pane sash in eared architrave on
each floor. Dormer gables coped with ball finials. Both stacks water-
tabled at eaves level. East front: 2 storeys and attic, 6 bays with
irregular fenestration; 1-storey, 5-window quoined extension at right.
Left-of-centre C20 panelled door in doorcase of bolstered blocks with
cornice hood, flanked by unequal 15-pane sashes in double-chamfered
openings. Continuous hoodmould. 15-pane sashes on first floor, and gabled
dormer with mullion-and-transom window, all with hoodmoulds. Water-tabled
projecting stacks at each side. At far right, double-chamfered openings
contain single-light window on ground floor, mullion-and-transom window on
first floor, and 2-light mullion window on second floor, all with square
lattice glazing. Coped gables and shaped kneelers. Right end stack.
Extension has 12-pane sashes and flat dormer with square lattice glazing.
Right-of-centre stack to roof hipped at right. North side: wing of original
C16 house projects at right. Chamfered surround of ground-floor window
survives. Interior. Dining room (ground-floor room at left end) chimney-
piece and overmantel with 2 tiers of pilasters; bolection-moulded panelling.
Ground-floor room of extension has ceiling paintings on canvas representing
the arms of Viscount Preston and his wife Lady Anne Howard. Oak Hall has an
elaborately carved stone chimney-piece with Lord and Lady Preston's joint
coat of arms. Finely crafted pedimented doorcases, wall panelling and
arcaded stairwell screen survive. Geometrical-patterned stone floor.
Closed-string, open well staircase with dumb-bell balusters, moulded
handrail and sunk-panelled newels; replacement pine stair treads. First
floor: drawing room chimney-piece and overmantel with Ionic pilasters. For
full interior description, see National Trust Guidebook. C Hussey,
"Nunnington Hall, Yorkshire", Country Life, 4 Feb 1928, pp 148-155.
Listing NGR: SE6703079481
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.