Description: Endowed School
Date Listed: 27 November 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 329827
OS Grid Reference: SE3047657549
OS Grid Coordinates: 430476, 457549
Latitude/Longitude: 54.0131, -1.5364
1. BACHELOR GARDENS
5338 (North Side)
(Formerly listed as
Bilton Endowed School)
SE 3057 4/41 27.11.72.
Circa 1793. 2 storeys. Double fronted with 5 windows with 1 storey extensions
on north and south sides (north extension, late C19). Stone slate roof with
gable kneelers and chimneys. Coursed grit stone rubble. Flush framed sash windows
with exposed boxing and glazing bars. Central doorway with stone surround, fanlight,
panelled door and inscription in plaque over: "This school was endowed by Mr
Francis and Mr Richard Taylor, 2 brothers who dwelt here and built in the year 1793".
South of the school in low wall is a round-arched doorway with pilasters,
archivolt and keystone; doorway flanked by blank square-headed windows.
Listing NGR: SE3047657549
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.