Description: Plompton Hall and Flanking Walls
Date Listed: 8 March 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 330897
OS Grid Reference: SE3572154009
OS Grid Coordinates: 435721, 454009
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9809, -1.4568
SE 35 SE PLOMPTON PLOMPTON HALL
5/226 Plompton Hall and
flanking walls (formerly
8.3.52 listed as Plompton Hall)
Country house and flanking walls. c1760. Probably by John Carr for Daniel
Lascelles. Ashlar, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Rusticated
quoins. Wide centre bay breaks forward slightly. Central C20 glazed door
with fanlight and narrow margin lights and, above, C20 6-pane window with
semicircular wrought-iron balcony all in tall, round-arched recess with
voussoirs and impost band. Round-headed niches flank the door, with
circular niches above. Side bays - blind windows to ground floor, sash with
glazing bars inserted on left and above two 6-pane sashes. Plain lintels
and sills throughout. Deep eaves cornice. Triangular pediment over central
bay. Hipped roof. Stacks to left and at rear, centre. Rear facade:
projecting canted bay, centre, with stack and C20 inserted windows.
Interior: Adam-style fireplace in white marble in entrance hall. Short
flanking walls, approximately 3 metres high, link the house to stable
buildings (q.v.) Wall to left has 3 ball and cushion finials. Later
additions built against north face of these walls not of special interest.
The house appears to have been converted from the south range of the stables
when Daniel Lacelles moved to Goldsborough Hall (q.v.) in 1762 and building
work on the much larger house to south-west of the stables ceased.
W.A. Atkinson, Goldsborough and its Neighbourhood, 1922, p. 67.
W.A. Eden & R.B. Wragg, "John Carr, Stone Cutter Extraordinary",
Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society, N.S. Vol 24, 1980, p.23.
Listing NGR: SE3572154009
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.