Description: Stables to Plompton Hall
Date Listed: 15 March 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 330898
OS Grid Reference: SE3570354013
OS Grid Coordinates: 435703, 454013
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9810, -1.4571
SE 35 SE PLOMPTON PLOMPTON HALL
5/227 Stables to Plompton Hall
Stables, now farm outbuildings and private house. c1757 by John Carr for
Daniel Lascelles. Ashlar, stone slate roof. 3 two-storey ranges ;grouped
around the north, west and east sides of a square courtyard, and linked by
high walls. West range: main entrance block, 7 bays. Rusticated quoins.
Central bay projects slightly, with tall rusticated archway and open
triangular pediment surmounted by octagonal cupola. Engaged arcading to 3
flanking bays. Rectangular windows, ground floor, part-blocked to left;
sash windows and C20 casement, right. Square 6-pane sash windows to upper
floor. Plain sills and lintels. Impost band is carried around left and
right returns and continues at coping level of linking walls to Plompton
Hall (q.v.). Moulded eaves cornice, hipped roof. Cupola - projecting band
below clock faces which alternate with circular recesses. Dentilled eaves,
octagonal roof, moulded base to ball finial. Rear facade: outer bays form
shallow side wings. Open triangular pediment over archway. 2 flights of
steps extend from arched entrance to first-floor doors. C20 glazed door
ground floor, left; blocked doorway right. Square 6-pane and blind windows.
Projecting eaves band; 2 lead rainwater heads with Lascelles badges and
down-pipes surviving. Interior: south end converted to house mid C20,
unoccupied. Remainder used as farm storage. North range: 3-bay single-
aisled hay barn. South (yard) side has tall central arch, lower half
blocked, flanked by 2 pairs of blind windows to each storey containing
cruciform ventilators. Impost and eaves bands. Hipped roof. Rear: blocked
cart entrance. Left return: C20 flat-arched opening for farm machinery.
Interior: arcade of square piers and round arches; aisle on north side.
North-west corner of courtyard: dog-kennel built against curtain wall
between stable range and barn. East range: low 5-bay block with taller,
square, end bays. West (yard) side: central archway flanked by 2 bays with
engaged arcading. South end coverted to house c1980, north end has 2 plank
doors with segmental-headed opening over. North-east corner of courtyard:
additional carriage-house with round arch and projecting band with parapet
above. The south side of the courtyard contains Plompton Hall (q.v.).
Daniel Lascelles bought the Plompton Estate c1755. Work on the stable block
began c1757 and John Carr may have followed the design of Colen Campbell's
stables at Houghton (Eden and Wragg, p38), c1760 John Carr began work on a
new house to the south-west of the stables, but in 1762 Daniel Lascelles
bought Goldsborough Hall (q.v.) and work stopped at Plumpton. It is likely
that when the new house was demolished the south range of the stables was
converted to make the present hall.
W.A. Eden & R.B. Wragg, "John Carr, Stone Cutter Extraordinary",
Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society, N.S. Vol. 24, 1980, pp 23-48
H. Speight, Nidderdale, London, 1894, p. 239.
Listing NGR: SE3570354013
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.