Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 22 January 1976
English Heritage Building ID: 33125
OS Grid Reference: ST4066471209
OS Grid Coordinates: 340664, 171209
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4368, -2.8550
CLEVEDON ST JOHN'S ROAD
1/15 Church of St John
Church. 1875-6, by William Butterfield for Sir Arthur Elton. Squared and coursed local stone, with Bath stone banding and dressings; plain tile roof. Nave with aisles, transepts and south-west tower with saddleback roof; new porch and second
vestry added 1883-4. Exterior designed in a robust Gothic Revival style typical of Butterfield, with paired lancets to aisles and otherwise an imaginative use of Middle Pointed tracery to all windows, including a rose window to the north
transept, combined with a robust handling of the principal elements. Interior: narrow aisles with arcades on square chamfered piers without capitals. Pulpit and choir fittings of oak and walnut intermixed; patterned plain and encaustic tiles, with an effective use of Devonshire and other marbles in the chancel. Lower part of walls in nave and aisles lined with red and other coloured Staffordshire tiles. Finely-carpentered roof throughout, with a brattished cornice and deep canted arch bracing to nave. Due to subsidence the stone arch dividing the interior has been replaced by a girder and iron screen by C.S. Hare, 1909. Glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Lady Chapel fitted by Hare. The chancel reredos
originally had marble cross surrounded by four Evangelistic emblems in mosaic on gold grounds.
Listing NGR: ST4066471209
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.