British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Shandy Hall, Coxwold

Description: Shandy Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 332739

OS Grid Reference: SE5312077291
OS Grid Coordinates: 453120, 477291
Latitude/Longitude: 54.1886, -1.1874

Location: Thirsk Bank, Coxwold, North Yorkshire YO61 4AD

Locality: Coxwold
Local Authority: Hambleton District Council
County: North Yorkshire
Country: England
Postcode: YO61 4AD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Coxwold, North Yorkshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SE 5277-5377
(north side)
Shandy Hall
- I

Medieval hall house, probably for priest,with later alterations and additions as
rectory and farmhouse. Hall house of c.1450, with inserted floor and other
alterations in C17, C15 gabled cross wings at each end, the whole encased in
brick in late C17 or early C15, and with addition to left and internal altera-
tions of 1767 for Laurence Sterne; restored mid 1960s. Timber-framed core
refaced in brick, graduated stone slate roof to front, stone slates to rear.
Central hall now of 1 1/2 storeys, with added rear outshut, flanked by 2-storey
cross wings. Hall: to right, part-glazed door to screens passage with com-
memorative inscription above; to left, ground-floor 16-pane sash window in
header-brick segmental-arched opening, and first-floor 12-pane unequally-hung
sash window above. Right cross-wing: ground-floor 16-pane sash, first-floor
sash window with glazing bars and 16-pane sash, all with header-brick
segmental-arched openings. Left cross-wing: on each floor a 16-pane sash window
in header-brick segmental-arched opening. Further to left, projecting forward,
screen wall masking reversed lean-to roof of Sterne extension (see left
return). Chimney: (see right return). Rear: gables flanking outshut with
side-sliding sash windows, 2 gables to left, 1 to right forming stair turret.
Left return (Sterne extension): brick in irregular bond; windows have header-
brick segmental-arched openings; ground floor from left has 16-pane sash window;
round-arched recessed part-glazed door; round-arched shell niche; 16-pane sash
window. First floor: 2 side-sliding sash windows of different sizes; central
stack rising from parapet. To left, C20 arcaded loggia replacing C19 coal sheds
etc. Right return: to left, small external stack, largely of brick, with tall
leaning superstructure serving Sterne's Study and Eliza's Room; to right, very
large external stepped stone stack serving kitchen, with brick top, and with
side-sliding sash window in it to kitchen, and early bread oven extended onto it
to right. Interior: screens passage has doors of 2 fielded panels, some with
original door furniture; near front door, C17 oak staircase with splat
balusters, to front right, Sterne's Study, with inserted Carron cast-iron fire-
grate in eared surround; to rear right, kitchen with C18 corner cupboard with
plate rack and shelf; external fireplace has moulded bressummer and jowelled
post, with inserted late C18-early C19 ashlar surround with rounded inner
corners to lintel, containing cast-iron range with crane; to its right, later
bread oven with cast-iron door with coat of arms of William IV by J Walker,
York; in left reveal of large fireplace opening, salt box and outline of earlier
bread oven. To left of screens passage, Dining Room with C17 painted oak panel-
ling with wooden cornice; inserted C18 hob grate in fireplace later than
timber-frame; door of 4 fielded panels with H-hinges; stop-chamfered beams. In
rear wall, visible from modern kitchen in outshut, C15 oak 4-light mullion
window with 2 lath panels above, relating to hall before floor inserted. Off
rear of Dining Room, early-C18 pine splat baluster staircase in turret. To
left, Parlour with stop-chamfered beams of inferior quality to Dining Room;
fragment of Elizabethan panelling with frieze; C17 panelling, and behind it on
inner wall, mid C15 painted wall plaster showing vine foliage and Sacred
Monogram; C18 shell niche, largely renewed C20, across corner near door of 6
fielded panels unusually disposed. Off Parlour, annexe added by Sterne, and
side entrance hall, with access down to wine cellar, of twin barrel vaults. On
first floor, Sterne's Bedroom above Parlour, has behind restored panelling on
inner wall early C16 painting of a man in Tudor costume with a halberd; other
fragments of stencil decoration; Carron cast-iron gate in C18 fire surround with
acanthus motif on mantel; painted fielded panelling; oak door. Above Sterne's
Study, Eliza's Room, fitted out by Sterne for Eliza Draper in 1767, with fielded
panelling below dado which has ovolo section and ornament rack above; cast-iron
fireplace in surround with Greek key motif; original floorboards; dressing room
nearby to rear has C18 pine clothes hooks. Laurence Sterne lived here 1760-68
as perpetual curate of Coxwold, and it was in this house that his most famous
novel, Tristram Shandy, was written. Giles Worsley 'Shandy Hall, North
Yorkshire', Country Life, November 7, 1985. Photos in NMR..

Listing NGR: SE5312077291

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.