Description: High House
Date Listed: 24 November 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 332788
OS Grid Reference: SE5320574082
OS Grid Coordinates: 453205, 474082
Latitude/Longitude: 54.1598, -1.1867
THORNTON-ON-THE-HILL THORNTON LANE
SE 57 SW
- High House
Farmhouse. Probably C15, with late C16 or early C17 rear wing, mid-C18 addi-
tions, and alterations dated 1884, the 1884 work for Sir George Orby Wombwell.
Sandstone dressed in deep courses, C20 artificial slate roofs. T-shaped plan.
Main range of 2 storeys and loft, 2 bays, with lower 2-storey wing to rear left,
and with 2-storey lower addition of 2 builds set back to left. Central C20
part-glazed door below narrow overlight, flanked by C20 casement windows, that
to right partly in surround of old window with relieving arch above. On first
floor, 16-pane sash windows, and in centre a pointed-arched panel bearing date
and ligatured initials of Sir George Orby Wombwell, surmounted by a unicorn's
head. Rebuilt brick end stacks, that to right surmounting a huge stepped
external stack. Rear: wing has been doubled in width. Left return: blocked
single light first-floor window; C19 first-floor window; loft window. Right
return: to rear of external stack, blocked single-light chamfered window with
trefoiled cusping. Interior: in rear wall, now forming doorway to dairy in rear
wing, Tudor-arched door surround with ogee and hollow mouldings on high stops;
deeply-splayed window on first floor; c.1800 cast-iron fire-grate in bedroom of
left wing. The site of a deserted medieval village is marked on the 1:10 000
Ordnance Survey map just north of the farm complex, and it seems likely that
some medieval work survives in situ in High House.
Listing NGR: SE5320574082
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.