Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 18 April 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 333678
OS Grid Reference: SE4004602906
OS Grid Coordinates: 440046, 402906
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5213, -1.3975
SE40SW WOMBWELL HOUGH LANE
6/50 Church of St. Mary
Church. 1896-1914, several builds. By Hadfield and Garland of
Sheffield (Kelly's Directory 1912). Deeply-coursed dressed sandstone,
some contrasting limestone and sandstone dressings, tile roof.
Orientated north-east/south-west, ritual orientation used here.
West tower with north porch, 6-bay aisled nave, 3-bay chancel with
south vestry and 2-storey organ chamber to north. Perpendicular
Gothic Revival style; massive, simpler tower. West tower: chamfered
plinth and moulded band to full-height angle buttresses; tall 4-light
west window; south-east vice; simple pinnacled parapet added c1960.
North porch: red and white chequered panel over door . Nave: chamfered
and wave-moulded plinth on south side; buttresses to bay divisions;
embattled south porch to bay 3; 3-light square-headed windows to aisle,
4-light arched-headed windows with hoodmoulds to clerestory; roll-moulded
parapet and gable copings; east sanctus bellcote with 2 octagonal
turrets. Chancel: lower. Chamfered plinth and string course beneath
2- and 3-light windows, hoodmould formed beneath parapet. Arched
clerestory windows of 3 and 4 lights with hoodmoulds. East window:
5 lights. Matching smaller window to organ chamber.
Interior: Pointed-arch arcade with hoodmould. Octagonal stone pulpit
with crinoidal limestone coping, Gothic Revival style. Some remains
of the earlier medieval church include a C12 scalloped capital in
nave west wall and C15 piscina in chancel at south-east end.
Listing NGR: SE4004602906
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.