Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 13 January 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 333699
OS Grid Reference: SE3435606656
OS Grid Coordinates: 434356, 406656
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5554, -1.4829
SE3406NW BARNSLEY CHURCH STREET
8/13 Church of St. Mary
Church. Tower c1400, the rest 1822 by Rickman, interior restored c1870 by
G. F. Bodley. The tower is of deeply-coursed rubble, the rest ashlar. Welsh
slate roof. Perpendicular west tower, the rest is in Early English style.
West tower, 5-bay nave with aisles and north and south porches, 2-bay chancel
with 1-bay side chapels. Later vestry to north (in keeping). Tower: 2 tall
stages with diagonal buttresses. West door under 3-light C19 window with
Perpendicular tracery. 2-light belfry openings with trefoil cusped lights.
C19 crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. The rest of the church
has mainly narrow 3-light windows with cusped intersecting tracery. The east
window is of 5 lights with Perpendicular tracery probably part of c1870
restoration. The porches are square. Aisles are flat-roofed; the nave roof
low-pitched. Crenellated ashlar parapets, with tall crocketed pinnacles to
nave and aisles.
Interior: 5-bay north and south arcades on clustered piers. Panelled nave and
aisle roofs, ribbed chancel roof. Good, geometrical chancel screen with iron
grill, by G. F. Bodley. Two, large painted panels in eared architraves at foot
of tower, with list of Donors to the poor from the C15 to early C18. Several
wall memorials from mid C18 to early C19. Good late C19 stained glass to north
aisle. Early C19 stained glass of 4 evangelists in north chapel, reset from
east window. Other late C19 stained glass to south aisle.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
Listing NGR: SE3435606656
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.