Description: Non Conformist Cemetery Chapel (To East)
Date Listed: 13 January 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 333727
OS Grid Reference: SE3696804890
OS Grid Coordinates: 436968, 404890
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5394, -1.4436
SE30SE BARNSLEY HUNNINGLEY LANE
(east side, off)
One of two cemetery chapels. 1870 by John Moxon. Pitch-faced stone with
ashlar dressings. Tiled roof. 3-bay nave, small single-bay chancel and
gabled porch on ritual north side. The ritual west end has a pair of small
lancets joined at the head by a large circel with 3 quatrefoils. Hoodmould
over the group with foliage stops. The sides have small paired lancets with
circles in heads. The porch has side buttresses, a pointed-arched entrance
and a pair of wooden gates. Two lancets form the ritual east window with an
oval window in the apex. Ornamental ashlar stack at the ritual east end.
The steeply-pitched roof is surmounted by a square, slender, wooden lantern
with cusped sides and a tall, tiled sprocketed spire.
Listing NGR: SE3696804890
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.