Description: Church of St Anne
Date Listed: 21 July 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 333784
OS Grid Reference: SE1784503317
OS Grid Coordinates: 417845, 403317
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5262, -1.7323
S310SE DUNFORD BROOK HILL LANE
(south side, off)
5/4 Church of St. Anne
Church. Dated 1856. By George Shaw of saddleworth for John Chapman. Pitch-faced
stone. Interlocking concrete tile roof. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, south porch,
north vestry. Diagonal buttresses mark the bay divisions. Above the inner door is
an inscribed stone ribbon recording that the church was erected by John Chapman
of Carlecotes and Mottram, the foundation stone was laid by his eldest son Edward
on 19th September 1856 and it was opened on 28th June 1857. Two-light nave windows
with Decorated tracery. Small 2-light chancel windows with cusped lights.
Three-light east window with Curvilinear tracery. Small 2-light west window.
Interior: arch-braced roof trusses. Contemporary fittings include stone font with
very elaborate oak cover. Elaborate oak pulpit, reading desk and canopied choir
Listing NGR: SE1784503317
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.