Description: 1-3, Distillery Side
Date Listed: 21 April 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 333877
OS Grid Reference: SK3871299929
OS Grid Coordinates: 438712, 399929
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4947, -1.4179
HOYLAND NETHER DISTILLERY SIDE
SK39NE (east side),
21.4.86 Nos 1-3 (consec)
Cottages, formerly National School. 1836 for the Fitzwilliam estate, altered.
Coursed, squared sandstone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys with partial basement,
3 bays. 2 left-hand bays: blocked basement doorway with ashlar surround, flanked
by windows, also blocked, with ashlar surrounds and deep lintels. Damaged casements
with glazing bars on each floor above have projecting sills and deep lintels.
Right bay: 2-light horizontally-sliding sash with glazing bars on each floor to
right. Small casements between bays at each mid-floor height, those to right paired.
End stacks with tabling, similar ridge stack to left of centre. Rear: rewindowed
2-storey facade having paired, boarded doorways between 2 windows on left, and
single doorway to right with window beyond; all windows 3-light iron casements with
concrete sills and lintels. Used as the National School until the construction of
the nearby railway line caused difficulty of access and a new school was built
next to the Church of the Holy Trinity. The cottages gained their name from a tar
distillery which existed close by from 1814-18. Unoccupied at time of
resurvey. Included for group value with Elsecar Newcomen Engine House which is a
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: SK3871299929
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.