Description: Workshop Adjoining Southern Corner of Aisled Workshop at Ncb Workshops
Date Listed: 4 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 333896
OS Grid Reference: SK3854099893
OS Grid Coordinates: 438540, 399893
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4943, -1.4205
HOYLAND NETHER WATH ROAD
(east side, off)
- Workshop adjoining
southern corner of
aisled workshop at NCB
Workshops. Mid C19. For the Fitzwilliam estate. Coursed, dressed sandstone, Welsh
slate roofs. 2 storeys, 3 x 7 bays. End elevation has C20 double-door beneath
cantilevered external stone steps and landing on iron strut, iron balustrade.
Ground floor doorway on right has boarded door and overlight beneath plain lintel.
1st floor: wallstone band interrupted by door having fanlight with radial glazing
bars and round arch. Diamond-latticed iron casement on left has projecting sill and
plain lintel, similar opening on right with later casement. Wallstone eaves band,
hipped roof. Right return: basket archway to left of centre has quoins and keystone;
2 iron casements to each side, door and additional opening to far right. 1st floor:
loading door with steel jib to right of archway; 2 diamond-latticed casements on
right with round-headed window beyond; 4 later casements on left of loading door.
The ground floor was used as a steam-powered saw mill, the 1st floor as a saddlery
and pattern store for the joiners shop. One of the better preserved elements of the
Elsecar ironworks originally operated by William Darwin and Co from 1795 until
leased by Earl Fitzwilliam to George and William Dawes from c1850 until 1884. C20
building attached to left return not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SK3854099893
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.