Description: Church of St James
Date Listed: 4 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 333926
OS Grid Reference: SE3201103274
OS Grid Coordinates: 432011, 403274
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5252, -1.5186
STAINBOROUGH WENTWORTH CASTLE
1/51 Church of St. James
Church. 1841, patron F. W. T. Vernon-Wentworth. Deeply-coursed, dressed
sandstone, Welsh slate roof. West tower with south porch, 4-bay nave and
chancel in one, added north vestry. Gothic Revival style, embattled throughout.
Tower: lean-to porch with pointed south door having shafts in chamfered
surround, hoodmould; string course beneath parapet. Tower behind has clasping
buttresses which flank pointed window with hoodmould; stringcourses below
and above diagonally-set clock panels; louvred belfry lancets; crocketed corner
pinnacles. Nave and chancel: ashlar plinth with moulded band. 4 double-
chamfered lancets with leaded lights and hoodmoulds. Stained-glass east
window of 2 lights, walling now rendered. Tudor-arched north vestry door with
head-stops on hoodmoulds.
Listing NGR: SE3201103274
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.