Description: Swaithe House
Date Listed: 11 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 333965
OS Grid Reference: SE3723004098
OS Grid Coordinates: 437230, 404098
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5322, -1.4398
WORSBROUGH MITCHELL STREET
SE30SE (west side)
Large farmhouse. Dated 'WH / 1680' with addition of c1720. Deeply-coursed,
dressed sandstone, the c1720 part stuccoed; stone slate and graduated slate
roofs, c1720 house: 3 storeys with basement and attics, 5-bay symmetrical facade;
C17 rear wing of 3 storeys, 5 windows to 1st floor. c1720 house: plinth,
projecting quoins, floor bands. Arcaded-panel door with 4-pane overlight in
bolection-moulded architrave beneath consoled segmental pediment. Flanking bays
have damaged 24-pane sashes in architraves. lst-floor windows similar, bay-2
sash removed, central sash has moulded sill and architrave in raised ashlar panel
with cornice. 2nd floor: 2-pane sashes, that to bay 2 removed; lintel band links
architraves beneath eaves cornice; 3-bay pediment with unglazed oeil-de-boeuf in
ashlar tympanum. Hipped roof with roof dormers on return slopes, corniced ashlar
stacks set to rear. Right return: blind ground-floor window on right beneath
band; 18-pane sash to 1st floor with 2-pane sash over; central roof-dormer has
pedimented gable. Set back on right is the lower wing of 1680: large quoins.
Quoined doorway to left of centre has cambered lintel with date, hoodmould continues
as dripmould over flanking windows; on right a 3-light double-chamfered mullioned
window and 2 similar 2-light windows (one blocked) with blocked quoined doorway
beyond; on left a casement in original surround, large 3-light horizontal-sliding
sash on its left with blocked double-chamfered opening beyond. 1st floor: blocked
2-light opening with intact 4-light window on right, part-blocked single-light
window over door, 3-light horizontally-sliding sash on right with blocked original
opening beyond. 2nd floor: four 2-light openings all but that on left blocked.
Shaped kneelers and gable copings on right. Ashlar ridge stack opposite door has
plinth and cornice, roof in very poor condition at time of resurvey. Left return:
lateral stack to C17 wing.
Interior: c1720 house: original features in poor condition include fielded-panelling
in ground-floor-left room with pulvinated frieze to fireplace; bolection-moulded
door architraves; wooden staircase with alternating barley-sugar, fluted and plain
balusters. C17 house: ground-floor room adjoining c1720 range has chamfered
transverse ceiling beams and bressumer beam; C18 dog-leg, balustered staircase;
lst-floor rooms with plaster cornices, some C17 panelling; rear part of house has
2 spine beams set on stop-chamfered posts; double-collared principal rafters with
stub tie beams set on carved corbela.
Owned by the Hall family until 1773 (Wilkinson pp211-223).
J. Wilkinson, Worsbrough, Its Historical Associations and Rural Attractions, 1872.
RCHM report July 1980.
Save, South Yorks: Buildings at Risk, 1984, pp14-15.
Listing NGR: SE3723004098
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.