Description: The Old Vicarage with Attached Wall and Gateway on West Side of Forecourt
Date Listed: 4 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 333999
OS Grid Reference: SK3089199217
OS Grid Coordinates: 430891, 399217
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4888, -1.5359
WORTLEY HOWBROOK LANE
SK39NW (north side, off)
4/123 The Old Vicarage
with attached wall
and gateway on west side
Vicarage. Dated 1880. Patron the Earl of Wharncliffe. Deeply-coursed, dressed
sandstone, stone slate roof. In Jacobean Revival style. 2 storeys, 3 x 2 gabled
bays with curtain wall enclosing single-storey outbuilding in yard on left return.
Throughout, there are ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows with leaded
lights and iron casements; dripmoulds; shaped gables with plaques; moulded copings
and ball finials. Entrance fronti left bay set back with single-storey porch in
angle. Porch has moulded door surround with keyed round arch and pediment with
finialled parapet. Cross-window above porch, 2-light windows on each floor to left
with stair window beyond having 3 transoms, and keystone linked to lst-floor
dripmould on right. Gable copings sweep down with catslide roof to left and
continue over gable of linked outbuilding. Central bay has door to left of 2-light
window, double-transomed 4-light window over. Right bay has 3-light mullioned and
transomed window to each floor. Tall corniced ashlar stacks on roof slope to left
of bay 1. Curved wall projecting to right of bay 1 has end piers and central
pedimented doorway in style of porch. Garden front on right return: each bay has
a 2-storey canted-bay window with 1 : 4 : 1 lights on each floor; parapet to each
bay with pediments and ball finials. Gables have date numerals in 2 plaques.
Central ridge stack with cornice.
Listing NGR: SK3089199217
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.