Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 18 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334143
OS Grid Reference: SE2850307960
OS Grid Coordinates: 428503, 407960
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5675, -1.5711
There is also a scheduled monument, Anglo-Saxon Period Cross in Churchyard of All Saints, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SE 2807 CAWTHORNE CHURCH ROAD
10/17 Church of Ali Saints
Church. C13, C15 and 1875-80 by Bodley and Garner. Ashlar except the north
chapel of coursed squared rubble. Stone slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay
nave, 3-bay north aisle with porch in angle with tower, 4-bay south aisle
with porch, 2-bay chancel and south chapel, shorter north chapel. The C15
Perpendicular tower of two tall stages was diagonal buttresses, west door,
restored Perpendicular west window of 3 lights and 2-over-2-light bell
chamber openings. Restored crenellated parapet with gargoyles and tall
corner pinnacles. 3-light Perpendicular-style south aisle windows. Two 2-
light windows to south chancel in Decorated style and a narrow, arched door.
5-light east window with a large wheel in head. The two 2-light and one 3-
light north aisle windows have square heads and round-arched lights. Two
small lancets and a small arched doorway to late C13 north chapel, in the
east wall of which is built an Cll cross head with a raised central figure
and above this is a 3-light window with Y-tracery.
Interior: 3-bay north and south arcades on round piers. The east end is
raised and the north chapel is separated from the chancel by the 2-bay C13
arcade. Glass in one of the north chapel lancets, of 1867, is attributed to
William Morris's firm (Pevsner). The west window glass is Pre-Raphaelite in
character, was designed by Roddam Spencer Stanhope and shows three figures of
the Cardinal Virtues: Faith, Hope and Charity. Several monuments in the
north chapel to the Spencer family of Cannon Hall. On the west wall 2
tablets of 1737, one pedimented with cherub supporters. On the north wall a
large memorial with 2 child supporters and a serpent issuing from the eye of
a skull and a plaque reading "The sting of life is sin". Over the south door
of the south chapel is a memorial with 2 child supporters, to Richard Green
(d. 1707) and other members of the Green family 1723 and 1733, of Banks Hall.
There are 2 fonts the earliest, mid Cl1 (Ryder), is square with cable
moulding at the edges. Each face has four sunken panels with relief
decoration of crosses, vine scrolls and the west face has 2 beasts. The
later font, C15, is octagonal and tapers downwards to sit on a pyramidal
octagonal base. The bowl has raised figures on each of its outer faces.
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967
P F Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, South Yorkshire Archaeological
N Moxon, The Parish Church of All Saints, Cawthorne (Official Guide), 1970
Listing NGR: SE2850307960
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.