Description: Church of All Hallows
Date Listed: 18 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334268
OS Grid Reference: SE2746310636
OS Grid Coordinates: 427463, 410636
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5916, -1.5866
SE 2711 HIGH HOYLAND CHURCH LANE
7/141 Church of All Hallows
Church. Tower dated 1679, the rest of the church 1904-8 by C Hodgson Fowler.
Coursed dressed stone. Stone slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with lean-
to south porch at west end, 2-bay chancel with short gabled transepts that to
south with door. Short 2-stage Perpendicular tower with diagonal buttresses.
Tansomed, 2-light bell-chamber openings with traceried heads and relief
carving to spandrels. A plaque on the south side reads:
"This steeple was
built AD 1679
John Moor Mason
Gloria Deo Soli".
3-light west window. Crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles (restored).
2- and 3-light square-headed nave and chancel windows with hoodmoulds and
cusped lights. 3-light east window with pointed arch.
Interior: Narrow, aisle-less nave with wagon roof. At west end of north
wall are the remains (part obscured) of a C13 or C14 arch from an earlier
building. Several Saxon Fragments attached to north wall including parts of
cross heads, etc.
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967
P F Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, (for The South Yorkshire County
Archaeology Service), 1982
Listing NGR: SE2746310636
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.