Description: The Friary and Friary Close
Date Listed: 27 December 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 334416
OS Grid Reference: SK5860492755
OS Grid Coordinates: 458604, 392755
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4283, -1.1195
SK 5892 5/3 ------------
The item shall be amended to read: The Friary and Friary Close
and the following sentence should be added to the list description:-
Friary now divided into 2
1. (south side)
SK 5892 5/3 27.12.62
Founded as an Augustinian Friary circa 1260 by JolJn Clarel, a canon of Southwell,
and dissolved in I530. Subsequently a house, held by the Slyamn family in
the C17 and the Hawkesworths in the C18. Its church housed the Fitzwilliam
tomb (now in the Parish Church) until 1538. Present buildings, although problematical,
are substantially Cl4, adapted for domestic use in the C17 (parhaps at the
time of the lintel dated 1663), and enlarged in C19.
Coursed rubble. Stone slate roofs to pre-C19 parts, Welsh slate elsewhere.
Two storeys and attics. The house consists of 2 mediaeval blocks, joined
at their south-east, and, north-west corners respectively, the west block extended
westwards in 2 parts, the first with a C19 added first storey and south wing,
the second ground floor only. Also C19 is a wing filling the angle formed
by the mediaeval blocks. All engraving of 1810 shows sash windo'ws, so the
present mullion and transom are therefore nearly all of Cl9 date. One possible
exception is tile 2-light stone mullioned window on the ground floor north
wall of tile first nester part of the west block. The only other pre-C19
features visible externally are as follows:-
1. Three stepped but-tresses on the north side of the west block, with sections
of a plain string. course above them.
2. A straight-headed door, probably C18, on south side of west block, shown
on the 1810 plan.
3. A triangular chimney breast on very fine moulded corbelling at the west
end of the east block, with a thinner shaft below the corbelling. Its stack,
together with the others, which are all corniced, is probably C19, but looks
4. Upper part of trefoil-headed lancet on first floor to north of the chimney
breast. (The window below with Y-tracery is shown as a sash on the 1810
5. Pair of blocked doorways at first floor level on south wall of east block
6. Blocked mediaeval window of 2 ogival arches in centre of ground floor of south front
of east block.
7. Lintel and Artisan Hannerist rustrcated door surround dated 1663, and
presumably re-set in porch on north side of western part of west block.
The most spectacular feature, however, is largley internal, although its north
end is partl visible from outside. This is a late C15 2 bay arcade with
moulded 2-centred arches springing from enbattled capitals adorned with Tudor
rose badges: sculpted figure of an angle in spandrels. It runs along east
end of west block, and has to be seen from inside the C19 infill block. Below
the southern arch is, presumably reset, a C14 ogee-headed doorway. Further
west along a passage in the west block is a 2-centre arch, perhaps of C13,
at least of C14 date.
Listing NGR: SK5860492755
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.