Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334422
OS Grid Reference: SE4702401495
OS Grid Coordinates: 447024, 401495
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5080, -1.2924
SE40SE ADWICK UPON DEARNE
6/1 Church of St. John
Church. C12 with C13 and later windows, vestry added and chancel arch replaced
in 1910 by A. C. Martin of London. Pebble-dashed rubble sandstone, Welsh slate
roof. Nave with south porch and west bellcote, narrower chancel with north vestry
at junction with nave. Nave: gabled porch has slightly pointed arch with impost,
weathered stone above; shaped kneelers, renewed gable copings. Tall C12 round-
arched doorway within appears altered. Y-tracery, 2-light window to right of
porch with offset buttress beyond. Blocked north door now a square-headed,
2-light mullioned window; tall,square-headed,3-light window to its west, and window
to its east of 2 cusped, ogee-headed lights. Battered bellcote projection has
rectangular, 2-light west window and pair of round-arched bell-openings with impost
band set beneath ashlar-coped gable. Shaped kneelers and gable copings to nave
roof. Lower chancel has south door with 2-light mullioned window to its left and
two C13 lancets to its right. Three early C19 headstones set beneath 2-light,
Y-tracery east window. Lancet to east of north vestry which has Y-tracery north
window and door in west side.
Interior: double-chamfered chancel arch of 1910 replaced former Norman arch. Square
piscina in chamfered, arched recess; aumbry recess. Arch-braced roof trusses.
Royal coat of arms above blocked north door. Late C19 fittings including pulpit
made from older pews with arms. East window of 1883.
Listing NGR: SE4702401495
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.