Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334446
OS Grid Reference: SE5067307230
OS Grid Coordinates: 450673, 407230
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5593, -1.2365
SE50NW BRODSWORTH BRODSWORTH
5/25 Church of St. Michael
Church. C11 nave, additions of c1200, C15 and C19, restoration 1874. Rubble
and ashlar limestone, red tile and sheet metal roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled
nave, 3-bay chancel with north chapel and vestry, 2-bay south chapel.
Tower: c1200. Plinth, angle buttresses. C19 west window of 2 cusped lights.
2 offset bands, the upper partly decorated with saltire crosses. Later belfry
stage with 2-light openings beneath chamfered, 4-centred arches. East belfry
window has carved spandrels and round arch with clock above. Cavetto-moulded
course with gargoyles beneath embattled parapet. Nave: C19 south aisle has gabled
porch and square-headed windows of 2, ogee lights, south door within porch has
colonnettes and moulded arch. Roll-moulded parapet copings. Embattled south wall
of nave with parapet against tower being a relic of C11 tower. North wall has small
C12 window to right (probably re-set), C19 windows of 3 and 5 lights to left.
East gable copings with cross. Chancel rebuilt and separately-roofed south chapel
added in C19. Buttresses at junction with nave and at east angle. Hooded priest's
door to left of 2-light window, pointed east window of 3 lights. Adjacent bay of
chancel has hooded, 2-light window with geometrical tracery. East window of 3
stepped lancets has diagonal buttress to left and buttress. to right with old 5-light
mullioned window beyond. Gable copings to chapel and chancel, chancel cross.
Interior: pointed, chamfered tower arch. West arch of c1200 north arcade (pierced
through north wall of Cll tower base) has ½ round imposts with broad capitals and
C19 double-chamfered arch. Similar imposts to other,later,north-aisle bays; one
octagonal pier with decorated capital, pointed arches with step and chamfered inner
order. C19 south aisle arcade with quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals and double-
chamfered arches. Chancel arch: half-octagonal responds, pointed arch with step
and chamfer; south jamb with 4 voussoirs from Cll chancel arch. C19 south chapel
arcade has quatrefoil pier and moulded arch. North arcade reuses old semi-octagonal
responds, otherwise renewed. C14-C15 font beneath tower: octagonal with wood
corona. Pulpit dated 1696 has marquetry panels, carved garlands and cherubs' heads.
Late C18 wall monument to Buck family. Thellusson monuments and brasses in south
chapel. Brass of 1773 to left of altar. Early grave slabs in nave including one
to Richard de Pickburn at east end of central aisle: foliated cross, dated 1421.
Other medieval slabs and reused material described elsewhere (Ryder, pp32-33).
Exterior and interior heavily buttresses and shored as a result of subsidence.
P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire , South Yorkshire County Council
Archaeology Monograph, No 2, 1982, pp25-34 (full analysis of structure and
Listing NGR: SE5067307230
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.