Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334514
OS Grid Reference: SE4854207951
OS Grid Coordinates: 448542, 407951
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5659, -1.2685
There is also a scheduled monument, Market Cross, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SE4807 HOOTON PAGNELL
Church of All Saints
Church. C12, C13 and C14; 1876 restoration by J. L. Pearson. Rubble and ashlar
limestone, red tile roofs. West tower, 2-bay nave, 2-bay chancel with north
aisle, south porch. West tower: rubble lower stage with diagonal, ashlar south-west
and angle north-west buttresses; C19 west window of 3 lights, reticulated tracery.
Moulded offset beneath two C14, ashlar stages, south and north clock faces, 2-light
belfry openings with louvres and cusped Y-tracery. String course with gargoyles;
embattled, pinnacled parapet. Nave: walling continuous from tower, chamfered plinth,
quoins at east end. Rebuilt south porch has broad, pointed arch with hoodmould,
gable copings with cross. South doorway within has ancient oak door with some
medieval ironwork, round arch with 5 incised voussoirs and simple hood; medieval
grave-slab fragments in porch walls. To right, two C19 3-light windows with
intersecting tracery and hoodmoulds with light stops. Cavetto-moulded eaves band.
Rebuilt north wall has Old buttresses flanking square-headed windows of 3 ogee-headed
lights, hoodmoulds. chancel: lower and narrower. C19 priest's door to right of quoins
to original short chancel with rubble walling pierced by Y-tracery, 2-light window.
Massive buttress to far right, dated 1677, has 2 lancets in ashlar walling on its left.
North windows as aisle. C19 east window of 3 lancets with shared hoodmould. Gable
copings and crosses to nave and chancel.
Interior: round tower arch probably rebuilt in C14. C13 north arcade of 2 bays has
cylindrical pier with crocketed, octagonal capital, keeled imposts and chamfered,
pointed arches. Chancel arch: c12, shafts and roll-moulded Vpussoirs on west side,
carved imposts with cable mould beneath lozenges. Chamfered round arch into north
chapel probably c15; C19 arch on left houses organ. Sedilia with 2, distorted,round
arches with 2 medieval grave slabs in back wall. C19 east window with inner shafts
and dog-tooth ornament. C19 roofs. Beneath tower are: cylindrical Norman font
(brought from elsewhere), late medieval oak panels, 3 benefactions boards and 2
medieval grave slabs (against west wall). Early C18 pulpit with marquetry panels.
Wall monument in north chapel to John Stanhope(d1674): cartouche with draped
sarcophagus over, skull with arms.
P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, South Yorkshire County Council
County Archaeology Monograph No 2, 1982, pp63-70.
Listing NGR: SE4854407952
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.