Description: The Old Vicarage
Date Listed: 11 January 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 334701
OS Grid Reference: SE6517000716
OS Grid Coordinates: 465170, 400716
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4991, -1.0190
SE60SE AUCKLEY MAIN STREET
4/3 The Old Vicarage
Vicarage now private house. c1840. Probably by William Hurst of Doncaster
(architect of Church of St. Saviour (q.v.) situated adjacent). Yellow brick
in Flemish bond, C20 cement-tile roof. 2 storeys, 3 x 2 bays. Central C20
part-glazed door in stone architrave beneath moulded cornice on consoles.
Flanking sashes with glazing bars have projecting stone sills and cornices on
smaller consoles. lst floor: band; outer bays have shorter sashes with
glazing bars with projecting sills and cambered brick arches; probably
altered central window has sash with glazing bars in boxed surround set
forward on 4 shaped brackets. Band beneath overhanging eaves set on wooden
brackets; hipped roof with 3 corniced stacks. Left return: sashes with
glazing bars to ground floor; lst-floor windows replaced. Built soon after
the Church of St. Saviour with money borrowed from John Childers of Cantley
Hall. Included for group value.
Building details recorded in Rev. G. H. Woodhouse, Finningley, 1877, pp64-65.
Listing NGR: SE6517000716
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.