Description: The Manor House
Date Listed: 27 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 334702
OS Grid Reference: SK6617494974
OS Grid Coordinates: 466174, 394974
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4474, -1.0051
SK69SE AUSTERFIELD HIGH STREET
10/4 The Manor House
27th May 1953
House of 2 builds. Late C16 and early C17; altered C19. Timber-framed with
later brick infill; pantile roof. L-shaped plan with 2-bay lobby-entry hall-
block added to 2-bay crosswing. 2 storeys, 2:1 windows to 1st floor.
Entrance front: hall block, on left, has added porch flanked by 3-light
casement windows on each floor. Cross-wing projecting on right has exposed
corner posts and similar casements. Brick ridge stack above porch; cross-
wing has hipped roof with brick ridge stack. Rear: hall block has 3 exposed
wall posts, those on left with exposed braces to the wallplate.
Interior: not inspected.
A detailed survey (S. R. Jones) records that the cross-wing is of better
quality timberwork and has transverse ceiling joists in the front ground-
floor room pegged to a spine bean which also has mortices for a partition
wall. The central post of the wing, at junction with the hall-block, has
been removed but the weathered wall-plate survives with mortices for light
studding thus indicating the separate dates of the 2 structures possibly
occupied by separate households of the sane family. Once home of William
Bradford who sailed on the Mayflower in 1620; he was made Governor of
Plymouth Colony in April 1621, a post which he held (apart from 5 years)
until his death in 1657. He wrote the "History of Plymouth Colony" a
manuscript found in Fulham Palace Library in 1855 and given to the United
S. R. Jones, 'The Manor House Austerfield', survey report in South Yorkshire
County Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield, primary index No 1503.
Listing NGR: SK6617494974
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.