Description: The Old Rectory
Date Listed: 4 June 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 334766
OS Grid Reference: SK6694899051
OS Grid Coordinates: 466948, 399051
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4839, -0.9926
SK69NE FINNINGLEY RECTORY LANE
(south side, off)
8/65 The Old Rectory
4 June 1986 (formerly listed as
being on Bawtry Road)
Rectory, unoccupied at time of resurvey (1987). 1704 for Rev. George
Barniston (Woodhouse, pp 25-26); aid C19 addition now reduced in size.
Cement rendered, the C19 addition in yellow brick; Welsh slate roofs.
H-shaped plan. 2-storey, 5-bay C18 range with central rear wing forming link
to 2-storey-and-attic C19 range set parallel to front. C18 facade (south
front): ashlar and rendered plinth; central part-glazed door beneath
pedimented hood on consoles; projecting stone sills to sashes with glazing
bars in flush wooden architraves; shouldered, yellow-brick end stacks. Left
return: C18 gable has weathered date plaque reading 'George/B..../Rector/
1704'. Flat-roofed C19 porch on left has Tudor-arched doorway with
hoodmould; above porch the wing has an unequally-hung 15-pane sash window.
Gabled mid-C19 wing on left: chamfered plinth; chamfered, quoined stone
surrounds to mullioned and transomed wooden casements, of 3 lights to ground
floor and of 2 lights to 1st floor and attic. Large kneelers and ashlar
gable copings with apex finials; brick stacks at junction with C18 range on
right. Right return: C19 wing has a canted bay window to ground floor,
otherwise as other gable.
Interior: ground-floor room on left of C18 facade has iron firebasket in pine
surround with pulvinated frieze and cornice.
Rev. G. A. Woodhouse, Finingley, 1877.
Listing NGR: SK6694899049
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.