Description: Garage Shop at Premises of Rossington Motor Co
Date Listed: 11 January 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 334774
OS Grid Reference: SK6227498414
OS Grid Coordinates: 462274, 398414
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4788, -1.0631
SK69NW ROSSINGTON STATION ROAD
7/73 Garage shop at premises
of Rossington Motor Co.
Slaughterhouse, later a butcher's shop and now part of garage premises.
c1870 for the Rossington Hall estate. Painted brick, shaped and plain blue-
tile roof. 1 storey, single cell; in High Victorian style. Offset side
buttresses. Front has 3-bay canopy under catslide roof supported on curved,
wooden braces (the left end brace replaced by an iron strut). Beneath the
canopy is a door on right of 2 plainly-glazed shop windows set above wooden,
latticed apron panels; over the door and windows is a decorative wrought-iron
grill beneath a 2-centred arch with hoodmould. Hipped roof has alternating
bands of shaped and plain tiles, a blind, gabled dormer and wrought-iron
ridge cresting. Right return: latticed window on left has projecting sill
and pointed arch; tall casement window on right. Left return: pointed-arched
doorway (visible from interior) on left of pointed, latticed window.
Formerly the slaughterhouse of Ivy House Farm before becoming a butchers
shop by 1909 (Clarke, p.91). Probably by W. M. Teulon who designed many
estate buildings for James Brown of Rossington Hall.
F. A. Clarke, Rossington : glimpses into the Past, 1986 (plate).
Collection of drawings by Teulon for Rossington estate in Doncaster Archives,
King Edwards Road, Balby.
Listing NGR: SK6227498414
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.