Description: Church of St Katharine
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334820
OS Grid Reference: SK5761398733
OS Grid Coordinates: 457613, 398733
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4822, -1.1333
5/46 Church of St Katharine
Church. c1300, C15 and c1530; nave and south aisle rebuilt 1855 by Sir George
Gilbert Scott. Ashlar and rubble magnesian limestone, lead and stone slate
roofs. West tower, 4-bay nave with south aisle and porch; lower 2-bay
chancel with separately-roofed south chapel. Tower: 4 stages; lower part
c1300, altered; top stage Perpendicular. Chamfered plinth, moulded band,
diagonal west buttresses and string courses between stages. Pointed west
door, offset to left, has quadrant-moulded surround as does 3-light window
over; Perpendicular 2-light window to 3rd stage. Offset beneath belfry stage
with louvred, 2-light pointed windows and string course with north and south
gargoyles beneath embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: gabled
porch of 1861. Aisle: chamfered plinth, trefoiled 2-light windows with
hoodmoulds dropped from oversailing parapet having roll-moulded copings.
Square-headed, cusped 2-light windows with hoodmoulds. Chancel: lower,
partly roughcast. Two C19 windows to north have cusped intersecting tracery
and carved hoodmould stops; similar 3-light east window; gable copings.
Wirral chapel, of c1530, is of ashlar with chamfered plinth. 2-light windows
to south and east have Tudor-arched lights in hollow-chamfered surrounds
beneath basket arches; arched string course over east window; old flush-
panelled door to west in hollow-chamfered and roll-moulded surround beneath
Wirral arms, another heraldic plaque to south; quadrant-moulded oversailing
course beneath roll-moulded parapet copings.
Interior: chamfered and quadrant-moulded tower arch. Perpendicular south
arcade has octagonal piers, moulded capitals and low double-chamfered arches
with hoodmoulds; C19 shouldered-arched window heads. Chancel arch: double-
chamfered, the inner order on corbels (that to south with carved head).
Chapel arcade, Perpendicular and similar to aisle; to its east is part of an
earlier window behind plaster. Font: round base to bowl on chamfered shaft.
Fittings: 2 stalls in chancel have misericords with bearded faces of C14;
another altered stall of same date. Painted arms of George III (1785) over
chancel arch. Hatchnent of the Banks family. Monuments: in chancel, the
Wylson tomb: floor slab with Latin rim inscription (Sir William d.1513). In
chapel: early C14 effigy of knight with shield and sword; another chest tomb
with shields in quatrefoiled side panels. Brass to Benjamin Staveley. Wall
monument to William Dixon (d.1783) by Materworth of Doncaster: corniced
plaque surmounted by bust set before on obelisk. Carvings over chapel arcade
depict Wirral arms and those of Hugh Wombwell of Greasbrough (John Wirral
married Mary Wombwell c1520).
Listing NGR: SK5761398733
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.