British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St John the Baptist, Wadworth

Description: Church of St John the Baptist

Grade: I
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334839

OS Grid Reference: SK5687897068
OS Grid Coordinates: 456878, 397068
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4673, -1.1447

Location: Church Lane, Wadworth, Doncaster DN11 9BQ

Locality: Wadworth
County: Doncaster
Country: England
Postcode: DN11 9BQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text



5/65 Church of St. John the
5.6.68 Baptist


Church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Ashlar and rubble magnesian limestone, slate
roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with north and south porches and aisles which
overlap the tower; 2-bay chancel with separately-roofed south chapel and
north organ chamber in overlap of aisle.' Tower: Perpendicular; chamfered
plinth and moulded band. Diagonal west buttresses flank pointed 3-light west
window with hoodmould; north and south clocks beneath belfry stage having
pairs of transomed 2-light windows with blind, cusped panels below louvres
and shared hoodmoulds. String courses below and above traceried frieze;
gargoyles beneath embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Navel south
porch has semi-octagonal responds to double-chamfered arch with hoodmould;
later embattled ashlar parapet with pinnacles and cross. South door, within
porch, has roll-moulded pointed arch with nailhead decoration and hoodmould
with carved-head stops; to each side are low benches and round-arched
arcading set on detached shafts. Aisle to left, has lancets in south and
west walls. Aisle to right has hollow-chamfered plinth, moulded band and
offset buttress between 2-light windows with hollow-chamfered surrounds, 2-
centred arches and hoodmoulds. String course beneath plain ashlar parapet.
Clerestorey: late Perpendicular; 2 square-headed 2-light windows in moulded
surrounds; cavetto oversailing course beneath embattled parapet with
crocketed pinnnacles. North side has ashlar porch with double-chamfered
arch, hoodmould, gable copings and cross; north door within has round-arched
head. Offset buttresses to rubble-walled aisle having Decorated 2-light,
pointed-arched window on right of porch and 2 square-headed 2-light windows
on its left; west lancet. Clerestorey, heightened in ashlar, has plainer
windows than those to south. Aisle and nave parapets as south. Chancel:
remodelled c1300 with chamfered plinth and quoins to rubble walling. 5-light
east window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould with weathered head-
carved stops. North aisle has 2-light Y-tracery windows to north and east.
Clerestorey windows in ashlar walling are of 4 Tudor-arched lights; ashlar
parapet and coped east gable with corner pinnacles and gargoyles.
Separately-roofed C14 south chapel has chamfered plinth, moulded band and
offset diagonal buttresses; another buttress between pointed south windows of
2 and 3 lights with reticulated tracery-and hoodmoulds. Unusual pointed 4-
light east window with mouchettes nodding to centre and transom beneath apex
quatrefoil (Pevsner, plate 9b). Ashlar parapet; east gable cross.
Interior: tall double-chamfered tower arch; lower arches in same style to
north and south. Pointed, hollow-chamfered arches at ends of south aisle
have half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Double-chamfered arches
to ends of north aisle. North arcade: 3 bays, cylindrical piers and square
capitals of c1200; matching responds with crocketed capitals; later double-
chamfered arches. South arcade: keeled responds, octagonal piers with
moulded capitals, arches as north. In south aisle wall is a 6-bay arcade of
round-arched recesses with detached shafts; trefoil-headed recess within
eastern arch. Nave roof: Perpendicular with moulded tie beams, purlins and
ridge; restored aisle roofs have archbraces set on shield corbels. Chancel
arch: of 1829, double-chamfered with corbelled inner order and hoodmould with
head-carved stops. 2 double-chamfered arches into south chapel, that on west
larger and with corbelled inner order. North wall: trefoil-headed piscina on
left of larger segmentally-arched recess. Chancel roof similar to nave, its
principals set on short posts which rise from shield corbels. South chapel:
sedilia and piscina with cusped ogee heads.Font: C15, octagonal with
quatrefoils beneath the rim. Monuments: semi-effigial, twin grave cover to
west of font has heads and crossed hands carved in sunken recesses. Beneath
east arch into south chapel is a fine alabaster table tomb to Edmund
Fitzwilliam (d.1465) and wife Katherine: knight with head on helm and feet on
dog set to right of his wife whose head rests on a tasseled cushion, angels
with shields to the side panels. To its south another semi-effigial slab
with carved recesses showing head and feet beneath ogee canopies. Against
south wall of chapel another effigial slab of huntsman with sword and horn,
probably C14. Table tomb with inscription to Edmund Fitzwilliam (d.1486) and
Katherine (d.1435); its sides have quatrefoils with shields. Various early
C19 wall monuments in south chapel; one on east wall has urn and drooping
palm tree. Brass: on south respond of chancel arch to John Pierrepoint
N. Pevsner, B.O.E, 1967
P. E. Routh, Medieval Effigial Alabaster Tombs in Yorkshire 1976,, p.lZ9.

Listing NGR: SK5687897071

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.