Description: Bell Tower at Junction with Glebe Street
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334858
OS Grid Reference: SE5478300593
OS Grid Coordinates: 454783, 400593
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4992, -1.1756
WARMSWORTH LOW ROAD EAST
SE50SW (north side)
1/84 Bell tower at junction
5.6.68 with Glebe Street
(formerly listed as
Bell tower. Probably C16 with C20 cupola. Rubble magnesian limestone with
wooden cupola. 2 storeys, single cell. Square lower storey with quoins and
boarded door in south side beneath thin stone lintel. Upper storey becomes
octagonal at half-pyramidal corner stops and is capped by band and offset
courses forming the cupola base. Cupola is open-sided, arcaded, and has
boarded roof with spike finial. Served to call the congregation to the old
parish church situated at a distance from the village centre. The tower may
be of medieval origin or be contemporary with the earlier Warmsworth Hall
situated nearby on site of present hall.
D. Hey, The Making of South Yorkshire, 1979, p.150 (plate).
Listing NGR: SE5478300593
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.