Description: Arksey Vicarage
Date Listed: 23 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 334910
OS Grid Reference: SE5795906893
OS Grid Coordinates: 457959, 406893
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5555, -1.1266
BENTLEY WITH ARKSEY CHURCH LANE
SE 50 NE (west side),
7/46 Arksey Vicarage
Vicarage. 1834-35, altered. By Woodhead and Hurst of Doncaster, builders
R. and C. Lister (plan in Borthwick Institute). Ashlar magnesian limestone,
C20 tile roof. 2 storeys, 1 : 1 : 1 bays, the central bay narrower, gabled
and set forward; double-depth plan; in Gothic Revival style. Chamfered
plinth. Central part-glazed door in chamfered ashlar surround with
triangular head and hoodmould having lozenge-shaped stops; blank shield in
panel over. Flanking bays: large 3-light mullioned windows having chamfered
ashlar surrounds and cavetto-moulded mullions to pointed-arched lights with
unequally-hung 10-pane sashes. 1st floor: smaller 2-light windows with
8-pane sashes in same style: central window of 3 lights. Altered eaves and
gable details. 2 corniced, cruciform stacks set to rear of ridge.
Left return: French window to ground-floor left, blind window on right;
2-light lst-floor windows as front. Addition to right return not of special
interest. Included for group value.
Plans dated Sept. 20th, 1833. Borthwick Institute, York; ref. CCEC 14/11.
Listing NGR: SE5801206958
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.