Description: Barn and Cowhouse Approximately 25 Metres to North of Cartshed at Campsmount Home Farm
Date Listed: 23 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 334939
OS Grid Reference: SE5365214182
OS Grid Coordinates: 453652, 414182
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6214, -1.1903
NORTON CAMPSMOUNT PARK
SE 51 SW
3/75 Barn and cowhouse
approximately 25 metres
to north of cartshed at
Campsmount Home Farm
Barn and cowhouse. Late C18, altered C20. By John Carr (Connor) for the
Campsmount estate. Harled rubble, sheet asbestos roof. 3-storey, 5-bay barn
with 2-storey, 5-bay cowhouse, in wing to front left (south side).
Barn: square-headed, wooden double doors inserted beneath altered segmental
arch; cruciform vents; bays on right have projecting sills to blind windows
also with cruciform vents beneath flat arches. 1st and 2nd floors: blind
windows with slit vents within and between. Eaves band to hipped roof.
Cowhouse: altered front end with eaves band to hipped roof; right return has
central door with overlight and flat arch flanked by cruciform vents and
casements with projecting sills and flat arches, 1st-floor windows as below
with slit vents between. Left return has 5 Diocletian-style, 1st-floor
windows, only bays 1 and 5 retaining both mullions, door inserted through
bay-2 window. Attached C20 farmbuildings not of special interest. Major
element of Home Farm group relating to Campsmount (demolished 1959) home of
the Yarborough and Cooke-Yarborough families. Formed part of a larger range
of which drawings survive in the Yarborough papers (reproduced by Connor).
Timothy Connor, 'The Building of Campsmount', Yorkshire Archaeological
Journal, vol 47, 1975, pp121-132.
Listing NGR: SE5365214182
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.