British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary Magdalene, Norton

Description: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Grade: I
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334948

OS Grid Reference: SE5447614076
OS Grid Coordinates: 454476, 414076
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6204, -1.1779

Location: Campsall Hall Road, Norton, Doncaster DN6 9AF

Locality: Norton
County: Doncaster
Country: England
Postcode: DN6 9AF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SE 51 SW
(south side),
Church Hill,
3/84 Church of
5.6.68 St. Mary Magdalene
GV 1
Church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Rubble and ashlar magnesian limestone, lead
and stone slate roofs. Cruciform plan having west tower overlapped by aisles
to 4-bay nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel. Tower: west buttresses (that
on right with moulded band and large offsets) flank restored C12 doorway with
shafts to 4-order round arch, scalloped capitals and zig-zag ornament; above,
a blind arcade of 5 arches divided by shafts with block capitals, the central
light taller and with zig-zag; string course beneath single-light window with
shafts, clock above; offset beneath belfry stage with small blind lights
flanked by louvred 2-light openings with shafts and with round arch over;
string course beneath Perpendicular embattled parapet with truncated corner
pinnacles. Nave: south aisle bay against tower is of 2 storeys and has
chamfered plinth, moulded band and diagonal south-west buttress rising as an
octagonal flue with spirelet; cusped lancets beneath shouldered-arched
1-light windows on west and south, moulded oversailing course beneath
embattled gable with crocketed finial. Perpendicular south porch has
quadrant-moulded arch with hoodmould and ogee-headed niche beneath gabled
ashlar roof with cross; within are benches and C14 shouldered-lintel doorway
under arch with fleurons. Perpendicular 3-light aisle windows with hollow-
chamfered surrounds and arched heads. Moulded oversailing course beneath
plain parapet with roll-moulded copings and renewed end pinnacles.
Clerestorey: cusped, 3-light Perpendicular windows; cornice beneath embattled
parapet interrupted by die-bases to crocketed pinnacles. North side has
hollow-chamfered doorway beneath niche and windows as south below lean-to
roof without parapet; similar clerestorey with 2-light window to bay 4.
Stepped east gable to nave has cross. South transept: chamfered plinth,
moulded band and offset beneath tall 3-light window with C19 reticulated
tracery; shallow gable with cross. North transept: rubble-walled; diagonal
buttresses flank a square-headed window of 2 ogee lights beneath a narrower
C12 window-head. Chancel: south side: chamfered plinth, large east buttress
and buttresses with roll-moulded arrises between bays. Roll-moulded priests'
door has hoodmould now carved with anthemion motifs; Y-tracery, double-
chamfered windows of c1300 with head-carved hoodmould stops. 1-light window
to bay 3. Corbel-table at eaves discontinued to east of bay 3. North side
has blocked, pointed doorway with shafted west jamb beneath 2-light window as
south; to west are 2 pilaster buttresses rising from a moulded plinth,
moulded band beneath C12 single-light window with later carvings to impost
and hood. Renewed 5-light east window beneath coped gable with cross.
Interior: round arches to north, south and east of tower; on south side of
tower pointed arches to north and east of baptistry which has quadripartite
vault beneath priests' chamber. Quadrant-moulded inner arch to south
doorway. Western 3 bays of aisle arcades early Perpendicular: moulded
plinths to square piers with quadrant-moulded corners and moulded capitals to
double-chamfered arches. Bay 4 arches into transepts differ; that on south
with semicircular west respond and re-carved capital, keeled east respond
with moulded capital and pointed arch with roll-moulding and zig-zag. Bay-4
arch to north has 2 semicircular responds and dog-tooth to soffit of similar
arch. From south aisle to transept is a quadrant-moulded and chamfered arch.
In north aisle: a quadrant-moulded tomb recess, its figure gone; aumbry
recess; into transept a C12 arch with zig-zag which cuts an earlier C12
window opening. South transept: 2 piscinas (that on right C20) beneath
recess with shouldered lintels on corbels. Chancel arch: restored and with
semicircular respond to north and keeled respond to south, 4-centred arch of
2 roll-moulded orders. Bench sedilias of c1300 to north and south of
chancel; renewed sedilia with piscina under trefoiled openings. C12 window
on north chancel wall has shafts and scalloped capitals. Fittings: octagonal
font on moulded base; corbels over south door support wooden statues beneath
Gothic canopies; C17 octagonal pulpit on later base. Rood screen of 4 : 2 :
4 divisions with ornate dado having 3 niches to each bay, rail with
mouchettes and inscription, coving with lierne ribs. Altar by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in south transept has figures in 5 crocketed niches, (brought from Ackworth).
Monuments: at east end of north aisle a medieval grave slab with sword to
right of cross on calvary base; another early slab to south of the Pugin
altar. In chancel floor: numerous good grave slabs including those to John
and William Ramsden (d.1718 and 1717); to finn Humphrey (d.1669) with marble
panel. Yarborough family monuments notably the 1803 wall monument to Thomas
Yarborough et. al. by Flaxman: panel in aedicule depicting the dispensation
of alms to the poor. Cartouche to south of chancel arch to Rev. Francis
Yarbrough (d.1776); below it a black marble slab to Anne Yarburgh (d.1682);
over north door to Thomas Yarburgh (d.1697), its inscription recorded by
Miller (p346).
N. Pevsner, B.0.E., 1967 ed.

P. F. Ryder, Medieval Buildings of Yarkshire, 1982, p66 (plate).

E. Miller, The History and Antiquities of Doncaster, 1804.

Listing NGR: SE5447314076

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.