Description: Waring and Gillow
Date Listed: 5 September 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 335041
OS Grid Reference: SE5756103286
OS Grid Coordinates: 457561, 403286
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5231, -1.1332
TOWN OF DONCASTER HIGH STREET
SE 5703 SE (north side)
7/46 No 21 (Waring and Gillow)
Public meeting rooms, now shop. 1841, with C20 alterations. Rendered stone with
painted stone dressings, roof hidden behind parapet. Three storeys and 3 bays.
C20 shop front to full width of ground floor. Three semi-circular headed first
floor windows in pilastered surrounds with moulded archivolts, panelled keystones
and large dentilled open pediments on consoles and dosserets. Mixed fenestration
of leaded lights and C20 casements. Moulded sill stringcourse. Similar string-
course to second floor interrupted by moulded brackets supporting sills to three
6-pane sashes in eared architraves with paterae to the top corners. Stepped frieze
and bracketed cornice above. Plain parapets with moulded copings. Reduced side
wall stacks. Built as a rival concern to the Subscription Rooms (1826) (qv)
opposite. Source: 'The Changing Face of Doncaster', by Colin Walton.
Listing NGR: SE5756103286
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.