Description: Birley Hall Farmhouse
Date Listed: 18 September 1978
English Heritage Building ID: 335461
OS Grid Reference: SK3301292767
OS Grid Coordinates: 433012, 392767
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4307, -1.5046
SK39SW ECCLESFIELD EDGE LANE
10/138 Birley Hall Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
18.9.78 part of Two former
Coach-houses and barn
at Birley Hall Farm)
Coach-house now dwelling. Built between 1797 and 1827. Coursed, squared
gritstone, ashlar piers, C20 cement-tiled roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays.
Symmetrical gabled facade. Blind arcade of 3 round-headed arches,
infilled flush. Plinth,to piers, with plain impost blocks to voussoired
arches, Central C20 part-glazed door with overlight, flanking bays have
sashes with glazing bars. Above central arch a blind quatrefoiled
opening in projecting ashlar surround flanked by inserted sashes. Square-
cut coping to pediment-shaped gable, Stone eaves stack to each side,
set back. Forms a matched pair with coach-house to north (q.v.)
porch to right and attached barn to rear not of special interest.
Included partly for group considerations. Dates cited in previous list
description from William Fairbank's map of 1797, a survey map of 1827.
Sheffield City Museum ACM Ecc. 192 ad Ecc. 702.
Listing NGR: SK3301292767
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.