Description: Church of St Leonard
Date Listed: 29 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 335545
OS Grid Reference: SK4668795489
OS Grid Coordinates: 446687, 395489
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4541, -1.2984
There is also a scheduled monument, Cross Located on the Former Village Green, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SK49NE THRYBERGH DONCASTER ROAD
(west side, off)
6/36 Church of St. Leonard
Church. C11 and C12 nave with C15-style windows; chancel C14; tower
C15; all much restored 1871 and 1894; vestry block added 1970 by Pace
of York. Irregular sandstone rubble to earliest work; coursed rubble
to chancel; otherwise ashlar. Stone slates to porch; other roofs lead.
West tower with spire; 3-bay nave with south porch and C20 vestry adjoining
in angle with tower; 2-bay chancel. Tower: triple-chamfered plinth.
3-light west window with hoodmould. Clock on south side. String course
beneath 2-light belfry openings; another string with gargoyles beneath
embattled parapet; recessed, crocketted spire with weathervane.
Nave: gabled porch with moulded plinth and quadrant-moulded arch to west
of two 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds. Quoins of blocked
south doorway beneath bay-2 window. Upper wall ashlar; moulded parapet
copings and cross to east gable. Round-arched north doorway within ashlar
extension to west of original short nave. Chancel: narrower and lower;
chamfered plinth. C19 priest's door beneath medieval niche; weathered
carving in small triangular panel over. To left a restored 3-light
window with geometrical tracery; to right a square-headed 2-light window
with ogee-shaped transoms. Upper walling renewed C20; parapet as nave.
Restored 4-light east window in Decorated style flanked by offset buttresses.
Interior: chancel and tower arches renewed. Nave roof: framed with moulded,
cambered tie-beams. C14 effigy set against south wall of tower, another
within C20 vestry. Niche at south-east end of nave contains tomb of
Ralph Reresby (d.1530): incised depiction of knight; reredos with arms
and Latin inscription. Another table tomb, now cut in half, and fixed in
south-east corner of chancel. Nave and chancel display an excellent sequence
of wall monuments ranging from late C16 to early C19. Of particular note
that on north wall of chancel to Lionel Reresby and wife Anne (d.1587):
2 kneelers each beneath canopy, mourners below. In addition to monuments
described by Pevsner (B.O.E., pp516-517) are those to Sir John Reresby I
(d.1668) over nave south door and to his son Sir John II: panel with carved
skulls and trophies, plaque with scrolled pediment above. Reresby brass
1668 near chancel arch. Restored C15 stained glass in easternmost window
of nave south wall.
N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Yorkshire West Riding, 1967 ed.
Listing NGR: SK4668795489
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.