Description: Rockingham Mausoleum Including Obelisks and Railed Enclosure
Date Listed: 29 April 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 335592
OS Grid Reference: SK4135497030
OS Grid Coordinates: 441354, 397030
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4684, -1.3785
SK49NW WENTWORTH CORTWORTH LANE
(south side, off)
5/85 Rockingham Mausoleum
and railed enclosure
29.4.68 (formerly Listed as The
GV Mausoleun Nether Hough)
Cenotaph. 1784-1793 by John Carr of York for William Wentworth
Fitzwilliam in memory of his uncle,Charles Wentworth, 2nd Marquis of
Rockingham and Prime Minister at the time of his death in 1782.
Ashlar sandstone; iron-railed enclosure. Tiered 3-stage monument with
4 freestanding, diagonally-set, obelisks; all within circular enclosure.
Doric lower stage; Corinthian upper stages. 5-step plinth. Rusticated
lower stage has doorway on side facing Wentworth Woodhouse (q.v.).
Double door in corniced architrave flanked by columns with full entablature
and pediment. Other sides have boarded windows in matching surrounds and
aedicules. Doric frieze and cornice with standard elements. 2nd stage :
paired columns flank round-arched openings, sarcophagus within. Each
opening with archivolt and console-shaped keystone. Entablature
surmounted by large urns (one missing). 3rd stage : peristyle colonnade with
Interior : robed statue of Charles Wentworth by Nollekens, pedestal
inscribed with epitaphs in prose by Edmund Burke and in verse by Montagu
(statue now set within iron cage). 4 niches set round have paired bust
bases inscribed with the names of Rockingham's closest friends : Edmund
Burke, Charles James Fox, Admiral Keppel, Lord John Cavendish, John Lee,
the Duke of Portland, Frederick Montagu and Sir George Saville (the busts,
all by Nollekens, now removed to safety). 8 fluted columns support dome
decorated with Adam-style plasterwork.
Obelisks: pedestals have moulded plinths, die with fielded panels and
cornices. Plain shafts with vase finials. Enclosure : railings have
stout, pointed, bars set in round-topped plinth wall; plain top rail;
matching gate opposite doorway.
The monument was largely complete by 1789, the obelisks originally from
the west front of Wentworth Woodhouse were removed to this site in 1793.
At time of resurvey main structure strapped by ironwork, timber shoring
to 2nd stage arches and brickwork within iron-banded colonnade of 3rd stage.
The architectural splendour of the monument is at present marred, never-
theless it retains all its importance in the local landscape.
R.B. Wragg, 'The Rockingham Mausolem (1784-1793)',
Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, vol 52, 1980, pp 157-166.
Listing NGR: SK4135497030
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.