Description: Barn at Number 24 (Nether Haugh Farm) Approximately 20 Metres to North East of Farmhouse
Date Listed: 23 March 1979
English Heritage Building ID: 335608
OS Grid Reference: SK4190796873
OS Grid Coordinates: 441907, 396873
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4669, -1.3702
SK49NW WENTWORTH NETHER HAUGH
5/101 Barn at No 24
(Nether Haugh Farm)
approximately 20 metres
to north-east of
23.3.79 farmhouse (formerly
listed as Barn at No 24)
Barn. C15 and C16, walls infilled C18 and C19, C20 reroofing.
Timber-framed; walls now brick and rubble sandstone; sheet asbestos
roof. Now 2 storeys; 5 bays. Farmyard front: 4 bays visible, adjoining
farmbuilding to front right (not of special interest). Bay divisions
marked by some exposed wall posts and by changes in wall infill. End
post to left. Adjacent bay with low stone wall pierced by boarded door,
brickwork above with hatch and casement. Next bay with rubble wallstone
infill and inserted casement. Next bay flanked by braced wall posts,
lower wall of rubble sandstone with 2 blocked slit vents, upper wall
brick with boarded hatch. Bay to right has boarded infill beneath timber
rail, brickwork above encases timber brace. Timber-framing exposed
in lower parts of gable walls.
Interior: entry via bay on right in farmyard leads to stone-paved central
threshing-floor of original 3-bay structure, 2 end-bays to left (west)
are timber-framed additions. Original structure: most wall-posts, wall
plates and tie beams remain. Curved braces and some stud infill below
end-truss tie beam. Collared-rafter roof with twinned collars marking
the position of former hipped roof and gablet. Peg holes in rafter feet
indicate that eaves were sprocketted. Side purlins on raking struts.
Added bays retain braced wall posts, wall plates and tie beams. End truss
of original 3-bay structure given re-used cruck-blade principals. Roof
structure of westernmost bay now renewed.
P. F. Ryder, report in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record,
Sheffield, primary index No 1462.
Listing NGR: SK4190796873
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.