Description: The Glassworks Cone
Date Listed: 29 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 335632
OS Grid Reference: SK4254588614
OS Grid Coordinates: 442545, 388614
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3927, -1.3617
This building is also a scheduled monument.
SK48NW CATCLIFFE MAIN STREET
(west side, off)
7/1 The Glassworks
Glass cone. c1740 for William Fenney. Dressed sandstone plinth wall, brickwork
above. Immense cone approximately 20 metres high pierced by openings round its
base and open at the top. On east and west sides, at present ground level, are
brick archways now buried. Sloping plinth wall with band above. Springing from
band are 3 large segmentally-arched openings; also set around base are 3 round-
arched openings, 2 segmentally-arched doorways and 4 segmentally-arched windows.
Interior: floor concreted, no visible remains of central kiln.
William Fenney previously managed the Bolsterstone Glasshouse owned by his
mother-in-law. The terms of her will prevented Fenney from setting up another
glasshouse within 10 miles of Bolsterstone; Catcliffe is 10 1/2 miles to the south-
east and its glassworks became one of four established in the first half of the
C18 by Bolsterstone men. Eventually passed into the hands of Henry Blunn before
its closure in 1884-1887; re-opened briefly in 1900. Excavation of the site in
1962 revealed details of the kiln and flue structures. The cone is the oldest
surviving structure of its type in Western Europe and one of only 4 to remain
in the U. K. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
G. Lewis, 'The Catcliffe Glassworks,
Journal of Industrial Archaeology, 1964-65, vol 1, pp206-211.
Listing NGR: SK4254588614
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.