Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 13 May 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 335649
OS Grid Reference: SK4181595677
OS Grid Coordinates: 441815, 395677
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4562, -1.3717
SK49NW ROTHERHAM CHURCH STREET
2/17 Church of St. Mary
Church. 1826-28 by Charles Watson and J. P. Pritchett. Deeply-coursed,
horizontally-tooled sandstone; tile roofs. Orientation almost north/south.
5-bay nave and chancel in one with school room in half-basement beneath chancel;
tower at north end flanked by low porches with lean-to roofs against nave.
Gothic revival: hoodmoulds, embattled parapets to body of church and porches,
crocketed corner pinnacles. Tower: full-height, offset, diagonal buttresses;
double door beneath transomed 2-light window; offset band below and above clock
in chamfered, square recess; 2-light louvred belfry openings. Buttresses rise
as pinnacles linked by crested balustrade with ogee-headed openings. Porches
each have double door; lancet in side wall. Body of church: deeply-chamfered
band above square-headed basement windows at chancel end. Angle buttresses rise
as pinnacles. Sill band links transomed 2-light windows with cusping. Narrow
transomed windows flank 3-light transomed altar window which has stained glass
and quatrefoil opening above. Roll-moulded embattlement copings.
Interior: west gallery with balustrade of trefoil-headed panels bearing Royal
Coat of Arms. Dado in same style. C18 benefactions boards in porches - salvaged
from Holy Trinity Chapel which formerly occupied the site. Octagonal font with
excellent Jacobean carved-oak cover now raised as a canopy on C20 frame (removed
from Rotherham All Saints Church c1875). Largely financed by the Church Commissioners
and William, Earl Fitzwilliam who was entrusted with the management of the building.
Listing NGR: SK4181595677
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.